SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ebay refractors

cloudy here again, so no observing tonight. Had a browse around ebay and there are two items, both 5" refractors ( buy it now.)

One is £275 and the other £500.

Cant manage to send the link but what do you all think about these scopes. Any good or not.

Best wishes,

Pete

A 4 inch version of the £275 scope was given a brief review in July's Sky at Night magazine. They thought it was a decent enough scope for the price (£225 for the 4 inch). The downsides were a very poor finder scope and the supplied 45 degree diagonal not being really suitable for astronomy - both could be rectified after purchase of course.

On that basis £275 for the 5 inch version is probably not bad value - but I have not personally tried one of course.

The £500 scope is the longer focal length version and I think is over priced - for a used one £200-£250 would be more realistic IMHO. They can be brought new for £400 from the Skies Unlimited web site I think. I have read favourable reviwes of these as well.

John,

North Somerset.

Archived