Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what is it? Vindemiatrix? Arcturus?

lostinspace

about 30 deg n of saturn, i was sweeping the sky with my binos and caught what i think was Arcurus, i could see obvious colour and a fair bit of it too. i got the scope set up and its still there at 10x. is it usual as its by far the most colourfull thing i`ve seen in the sky tonight?

sorry if its a stoopid question,

john

I reckon you are probably right there lostinspace its Arcturus and yes it does appear have an orangey tint to its glow (just looked out the window). Arcturus is in the constellation of Bootes which is kind of like a kite on its side. In the kite shape Arcturus is where the tail would be connected.

Sounds like Arcturus is in about the right spot.

Another way to find Arcturus is to follow the curve of the 'handle' of the plough (Ursa Major) down for about ~45 degrees. That leads you to Arcturus.

Follow the same curve for another ~45 degrees and you get to Spica, which is currently about 20-30 degrees East of Saturn.

Arctaurus is due East (or is it left!?) of Saturn in the evening, moving to north east by dawn.

I think John was probably talking about Mars.

sorry for the confusion, i was refering to north as in left of east, rather than straight up. I Am very new to this and co-ordinates make me dizzy.

If it was arcturus, why can i see spectral light? i thought the naked eye ( without filters ) could only see in one spectrum of light? Has the light passed through some kind of prism, breaking the light up?

agian, sorry if its a stupid question, i promise to keep learning and be able to answer questions myself one day. thanks for your help guys,

john

If it was arcturus, why can i see spectral light? i thought the naked eye ( without filters ) could only see in one spectrum of light? Has the light passed through some kind of prism, breaking the light up?

You've kind of answered your own question john, the light has to pass through our turbulent atmosphere which caues it to twinkle like that, and, with the brighter stars, you do get that different colour you mention.

Steve..

You've kind of answered your own question john, the light has to pass through our turbulent atmosphere which caues it to twinkle like that, and, with the brighter stars, you do get that different colour you mention.

Steve..

So i guess its true of all stars if there low enough to be viewed through enough of our atmosphere, providing there bright enough?

Is this just an illusion or has the light actually been split, if so does this help us to tell what type of star were looking at? thanks again for your help everyone,

john

Yes the light has been spilt it's not an illusion. I don't think the atmosphere helps us tell what type of star it we are looking at, we can tell that from the colour of the stars light and you can do that from the surface of the earth (with atmosphere) and you can do it from Hubble photographs (without atmosphere).

Archived