Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Duplicate star images with autoguiding - Help please.

Two nights ago I tried to image the Horsehead (tricky little blighter isn't it?). I had to ditch about a third of my subframes because the final images showed 2 star images instead of 1. I'm using PHD on a GPDX with starbook-s. The PHD settings are all at default. Guide camera is the 16ic on a WO 66. I have noticed that when PHD is callibrating, the number of steps was about 30-40 for N&S (and took much longer to move) whereas it was <10 for W and E (and was quick). Is this relevant? The guidespeed on the starbook is set at 1x. Do I need to change the settings on PHD or does it have anything to do with the short FL of the guidescope (386mm)?

Any suggestions as to where to try next? I might just revert to using the skysensor 2000 if it relates to the starbook.

Example 3 min subframe crop enclosed.

post-17204-133877430776_thumb.jpg

This effect can be caused by a slipping clutch or a snagging cable. With regard to PHD, if the calibration is satisfactory, the calibration steps do not really matter. I would say this is a 'mechanical' issue of some kind, could even be a loose focus tube?

Archived