Could someone have a wee look at my M51 unprocesses TIFF

Hi guys

M51 data from Thursday 4th,

Imaging: 250px / Modified 300d

Guiding: EQ6 / ASTSC15BW / ED80

Exposures:

Lights 52 x 300s / ISO 800

Darks 29 x 300s / ISO 800

Flats 10 x (at whatever exposure it was that made histogram half way!) / ISO 800

I keep getting diagonal banding on all my 300d images, but now that I've an obs and trying to improve my images, I want to know if I'm intorducing them during processing, or do I need a new camera?

I would be most grateful if one of you could have a go at processing it? I've attached the TIFF file hosted by uploading (I hope this is a 'safe' site for this)

Download Autosave.tif for free on uploading.com

Many thanks

Adam

Here is what I've done so far:

post-15548-133877430707_thumb.jpg

LOL, if you say so. I just use standard DSS settings and I always got 32bit files. I thought this was the way of it! I always convert them straight to 16bit in CS2 anyway so maybe I could do something different?

:headbang:

It looks like read noise, I'd try it with a lot more flats and also take bias frames. I take around 75 to 100 of each with my 450D and throw them into DSS with the lights and darks.

A bias frame is taken at the shortest exposure possible, same ISO and in the dark (ideally zero but you can't do that with a DSLR). This will record the read noise from the camera, DSS then uses this information to 'remove' the read noise.

Yep 1/4000 if that's the shortest exposure.

If you've not disturbed the camera and focuser you could also retake your flats. I'm not 100% sure, but I think using a low number of flats will also add noise to the image even though it removes the vignetting.

Archived