Beginner scope advice

hey guys,

complete beginner here looking at starting in astronomy and have been searching through different types of scopes, please forgive me if I have any conflicting Ideas hear as im new to all this so please be gentle lol. Im Not looking to spend a Fortune or anything no more than £200 maximum on scope optics tripod etc I know that i wont get the most amazing equipment for that budget as tripods can cost anything up from £200 lol but I thought id start of with basics then if I really get into it then ill save up in future for better kit. im not looking at observing deep space objects as i now light buckets are best for that, im more drawn to viewing the moon and star clusters. but i would like to keep the size of telescope on the small side as I do not have much room for storage in my apartment

I was looking at either of the following, so if anyone could give me advice or any experience with these id be grateful.

Skymax 90 EQ1 MC

Sky-Watcher SKYMAX-90 (EQ1) 90mm (3.5") f/1250 MAKSUTOV-CASSEGRAIN

Sky-watcher Star travel 80T

Sky-Watcher STARTRAVEL-80T (Tube Assembly) 80mm (3.1") f/400 REFRACTOR

If you could suggest any equipment to go with or replace, or any other scopes that would be good for a beginner scope id be very appreciative. just bare in mind I dont have a major amount of space for storage lol many thanks

ash

thanks for the reply, mainly I want to observe the moon and its craters, what does DSO define as I originaly was going for DSO for galaxies and nebulae but then i found out that they dont appear like the images shown but i read that they often appear as small smudges of color? so I was put off by that, mainly moon observing, double stars and star clusters, if that is possible with one type of scope?

at the moment my scope is same specs as the skywatcher explorer 130 and for planets its not its strong point but clusters and the moon are great. I thought a would get great views of nebula and see thing in colour but am afraid not. unless you take up imaging. I once got told "dont have to high of expectations and I would be pleasantly surprised" which I was. I now want a bigger scope so am saving for a 300p dob lol

i had a skywatcher 130p autotrak, great little scope, very portable being only 650mm long, a light mount, and you can be up and running in a couple of minutes as it`s real easy to align and the motor mount works a treat. i had great views of Venus, Saturn, Orion nebula and star clusters, also managed M31 the andromeda galaxy once but don`t expect much, it was only a smugge, for objects like far away nebula and galaxies you need a big mirror to collect as much light as possiable, this is one reason i upgraded and the other was i wanted to try imaging although i had some success with the 130p and a webcam,

if you want a good starter scope a 130 or 150 would be a great start

Whichever scope you go for, have a think about whom you buy it from. Pulsar Optical = Scopes n Skies

Have a look at the suppliers review section on the forum.

Andrew

Archived