NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

imaging upgrade from an Ed80

I've been given the OK to get another scope to image with although my budget is somewhat limited (Don't want to push things too far as 'the missus' has also agreed I can build an observatory).

I currently use an ED80 on a Eq6 pro mount with, I think, good success. I can consistently get 15 min subs however I still need to take several hours worth of data per colour to get a decent image.

I could spend £200-300 and my first thoughts are for a SW Explorer 200p ( I could then also get a collimator) however I'm also tempted with the new 200p DS version. Both are fast F5 scopes making guiding easier!

Obviously the DS version specifically designed for imaging would be better but given that I use an Atik 16ic would I really notice a difference. With the standard 200p would I have problems achieving focus with the camera and a filter wheel?

Perhaps I should be thinking of a different scope all together?

Please advice as I should probably get the scope quick before 'she' changes her mind

Cheers

Rob

Yes, you'd need a CC at f5 with most CCDs/ cameras.

Your budget is very tight to get all the necessary OTA/ rings/ dovetail/ etc.....

Maybe a good s/h 200mm f5???

BTW you will still need many long hours of data/ exposures to build up the coloured image!!!

(For DSO's etc the ED80 with a reducer/ flattener seems to be a favourite.)

Rob, if you are using an Atik 16ic the best thing you can do is to get your self a focal reducer of some sort. This will give you a faster set up with a larger field of view, perfect for you small chip. For a good while I really enjoyed my ED80 and ZS 66 combination which I sometimes used with an AstroPhysics 0.67 reducer and an SXV H9. I often wish I'd stayed with this lovely, simple combination instead of making things more complicated.

Archived