Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Removing dust from lens

A fair bit of dust has gathered on the lens of our celestron 40mm plossl, and probably on the objective of the refractor. I'm going to try doing a few afocal shots tonight and I'm wondering if it would do more harm than good to 'wipe' clean this glass.

John

Don't worry about the objective... it's better to use an air blower of some sort, like a rocket blower, before wiping to shift any big scratchy bits. I use a rocket blower, followed by Baader Optical Wonder Fluid. It works great.

But can I safely wipe the EP with a glasses (spectacle) cleaning cloth? I don't have any cleaning fluid about at all so I was literally going to blow on it and then give it a wipe.

After years of quickly wiping with a t-shirt (I know, I know, i'm terrible) the main lens on my fuji S7000 is a little lacking in coating on certain areas. Thankfully that camera is now getting on 10 years old, so i'm not too bothered, but I certainly dont want to get into bad habits with EP's and scopes.

Yet ANOTHER John! When will it end! lol

John

John... it's such a good name :)...

Don't actually blow on it, that can leave a coating of saliva on the glass. I don't think, for afocal, you'd even notice the dust, it might decrease the contrast a bit, but that's it. If it's just big chunks use a blower and leave it at that. I normally only use the cleaning fluid when I've managed to actually touch the glass through my normal clumsiness.

I'd be a bit careful what you touch the lenses with - some optical cloths are better than others. For now I'd blow the dust off, then invest in some Baader Optical Wonder fluid and the Baader micro-fibre cloth (First Light Optics sell them). I've just got these and they are excellent - I've cleaned the eye lenses of my Tele Vue eyepieces with them and they have come up like new :)

Archived