Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Kain

21/8/06 - Shortish Report NEW OBJECTS!

I managed to get out for about an 90mins tonight (though scope was out longer cooling)

The first non telescopic object I found was Iridium 31! My first IF :laugh:

Anyway my first target was M31, this time though mainly M110 and M32, this faint fuzzies are pretty cool really, there the only other galaxy's I have seen other than M31 lol!

Next up was a new object for me, M76, the Little Dumbbell! After about 5 mins no less I found it! I basically found Persei Phi (think that what it is, Greek alphabet..neh!) and just moved north a little. There is was! A tiny glowing smudge! With the 10mmEP, I could see it was a apple core shape. It wasn't till I just looked now that I found out its called the mini dumbbell neb. I'm quite pleased with myself with that!

After spending a little while with M76, I decided to look for M56. This was more tricky for me, though I used Alberio to star hop to it. I eventually found it! little disappointing really, it's only a tiny cluster. Then again apparently M13 is the biggest in the northern sky, so there not all that good. Still I can put it in my messier catalogue that I have seen it!

Next up was the Double Cluster in Perseus, for some reason I could look at this for hours, you kind of get lost just staring into it.

from there I had a look for the dreaded M81/82...STILL CAN@T blumming FIND THEM!! I will be honest guys, I got a little frustrated with it, I have been trying to find that since I got the Tasco. It will come to me one day lol.

By now there clouds and the dew were ganging up on me. however for the short time I was out there I really enjoyed it. M56 and M76 bagged, quite pleased with that.

Rog, I went out before I read your reply, so I will look for what you suggested the next time I go out!

Kain

Just to add to this, I have just come back in from 2nd time viewing tonight, this time though with a tiny telescope..you will laugh...My finderscope off the Dob lol!

M45 bagged, bolldy coulds was covering Orions belt! So mate that 3 new Massiers tonight, mind you I have seen M45 loads of times even before having a scope!

Kain

Kain

Wait till you see the Double Cluster through a 2" EP - awesome. Many people get a 'space-walk' feeling of falling into the view (in fact some do actually fall over).

Have you spotted the red star between the two clusters? A real beauty :laugh:

Hiya Daz

I do use the 2" to see the double, it's quite amazing.

And yeup, I spotted the red star!

Kain

Have you fell in yet???! :laugh: