Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod and head advice needed

I'm looking to buy a tripod and head. I want to hunt out scenic spots both at home in the peak district and for holidays abroad which will be good as foreground to a starry night sky backdrop (well I can dream). It will need to be fairly light weight for flying and for carting around in a rucsack but stable enough for when there is a breeze blowing. Thinking of something like a Manfrotto 190CXPro4 carbon fibre tripod and a 460MG head. It's all a bit confusing though. At the moment I have a little ball head and a flimsy 30 year old aluminium tripod.

Anyone any other advice or opinions? I see that Astrotracs are often supplied with a 410 geared head.

I haven't a clue really, it's quite confusing.

Martin, that's not an easy one to answer. I've not a lot of experience of Manfrotto but they are highly regarded. I guess weight is a concern with treking, but I also guess weight limit is important to. I have the alloy redsnapper and it's weight limit is very good (the 3 way head is good for 6.5Kg, the ball head for 10Kg). I've posted the results of my moon shots with the C80ED and a 2x Teleconverter and my 450d, settle time is about 3 seconds with the head extended. There is a CF version of it available and it's cheaper than the Manfrotto.

Hi Martin,

I'm a professional travel photographer and have been using a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod for about the last 10 years. Fantastic piece of kit, nice and light, takes a lot of weight and fits in my suitcase, but expensive though.

A Manfrotto would be a good choice as well. Check to see if it has a hook on the centre column - useful to hang your bag on to help steady the tripod when windy.

I'd recommend a good quality B&S head - much easier to use than a pan and tilt. Avoid cheap ones if you can because they tend to sag when long lens are used - very annoying if multi-exposing. And get one with quick release plates. You won't regret it. Manfrottos are good, so is Kirk (stocked by Warehouse Express) and Arca Swiss.

If you're anywhere the NEC check out FOCUS on Imaging, the annual photographic trade fair 7th March - 10th March. There will be tons of kit there to look at and discounted show prices too.

Sorry but being an absolute newbie astronomy wise, I can't comment on Astrotracs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks very much both Johns. I've finally decided on a Manfrotto 055CXpro4 with a 410 junior geared head and a lighter weight magnesium head when flying and weight is critical. I thought long and hard about the Redsnapper which looks great value but it doesn't pack down quite as small and it might lack a bit of height for me.

Carry a bungee cord an use it to attach the tripod to something heavy in use...

Some ot the "pods" may hav a hoook on the bottom of the center column to hand weight off helps no end with stability...

I use a uniloc bent bolt tripod as I often want to tripod moutn the camera is soem weird and wonderful placesa and the flexibility it gives is amazing...

I use a range of small and medium sized Manfroto pan and tilt and ball heads......

You have made a good choice Martin... it will serve you well...

Get a couple of spare QR plates... they weill alwasy end up attached to the wrong piece of equipment if you only have the one..

You can get manfroto clones from ebay which are ok....

Archived