Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 mono as a plantary imager ?

Catanonia

Thought I would put this in a separate thread so not lost in the scope thread.

I have a QHY5 mono guide camera that also acts as a high frame rate mono video camera.

Main Features

• Sensor: Micron 1/2inch MT9M001
  • Active pixels: 1280*1024
  • Pixel Size: 5.2um x 5.2um square
  • Mono sensor and Color sensor available
  • Peak QE=52%(Color) or 56%(Mono)
  • USB2.0 High Speed 24Mpixel/s
  • 15FPS@1280*1024 50FPS@640*480
  • Uncompressed Video data
  • Builin in Guide Port Guide port, Optic isolated
  • Progressive Scan, ROI support
  • Telescope Interface: M42/0.75
  • Filter interface: M28.5/0.5 for 1.25inch Filter
  • Size: 64mm diameter 26.5-32mm length

Would this be suitable for the moon and mars ?

I plan to attach it to the Skywatcher ED120 Diamond refractor with a Skywatcher x2 Barlows and an extension tube between the barlows and camera.

Hopefully looking to get the moon in nice detail and move onto mars.

The plan is to get a 5x Teleview PowerMate for mars and saturn with this setup on the refractor.

The ED120 is F7.5 and 900mm

Any help would be appreciated.

It seems people have more trouble getting good images with the QHY5 than with the DMK. I think jgs001 is having problems with noise at certain gains - although that is a QHY5v. When I looked into it, it seemed you ran into more problems with the quicker frame rates than the DMK.

My personal opinion is that the lack of good quality seeing opportunities in this country kill the chances of this cam being regarded as a planetary cam- Yes, you can but it's hard, hence my decision to buy a DMK.

NB I'm not for one moment suggesting that poor seeing can be overcome with the DMK but it will make the most of the opportunity. On the other hand the QHY5 is a lunar cam :eek:

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture3158-luna-panorama1.jpg

Well guys just tried it out in the evening sky with the moon and worked wonderfully. Got over 4gb of images to run through Registax and really hopeful.

Worked wonderful on the ED120 with 2x Barlows and the QHY5. Had the gain right down to minimum and looks great.

Loverly mosiac there Beamish, something I want to try at 1800mm on 1024 mode

Cheers Ibbo,

Got the drivers all sorted and imaging working nice. Really need to get a powermate 5x. Might have a go at Mars again tonight, shame saturn is so late, work in the morning.

Great images mate and make me realise it is possible. Perfect for me at the moment in my planet phase before I spend.

Archived