Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Synscan Problems

decoyp

I've a couple of questions regarding HEQ5 Pro if anyone can help.

Has anyone had problems with the synscan handset. Last night during a very brief gap in the clouds, I tried tp do a quick polar align and check out my new Equinox pro 80ED which I got nearly three weeks ago and still have not had the opportunity to try out properly. Anyway I had a problem with the handset in that one of the slew buttons would not opperate (The top DEC button I think). I took the handset apart late last night and could not see anything obviously wrong but I gave the contact a clean. It works OK now. Some of the buttons seem more responsive than others. Has anyone else had problems ??

I have also had problems with the power suddenly cutting out. I think it is the 12v jack plug into the mount. Very annoying as the synscan goes back to initilisation stage and I have to align the mount again. I bought the whole lot second hand but I don't think it's been used much looking at the condition of it.

I'm interested in EQMOD but don't know exactly what this entails except I would be able to ditch the synscan handset and control the mount from a laptop. This appeals to me as I think the handset is a bit suspect on my setup. Is there anywhere I can get more info on EQMOD.

Thanks

Richard

I have also had problems with the power suddenly cutting out. I think it is the 12v jack plug into the mount.

Are you using the right power cord? There are two which look very similar, both have 5.5mm diam outer connector, but the Skywatcher/Celestron type has a 2.1mm diam centre connector whereas the Meade type is 2.5mm. Now the SW/Celestron connector won't fit a Meade scope (without assistance from a lump hammer) but the Meade connector will fit your scope - the centre post will contact poorly and you'll get constant resets.

You can try bending the centre post in the socket in the mount (GENTLY) but it would be better to get a replacement power lead with the right connector on it.

Thanks for the feedback on EQMOD. I'm definately going to look into this in more detail ASAP. Will probably end up doing this. Is it easier to set up once the conversion is made? I do not have a permanent observatory setup at the mo.

Thanks also Brianb. I did think perhaps the connector was the wrong one. I have a few different types so I'll try and see if I can get a better fit. Failing that I'm going to hard wire it into a dedicated connector remote from the mount. So that there will be a lead coming from the mount (no jack into the mount) going into a remote dew proof box. That way it wont be subject to strain when the mount is slewing . Subject only to me tripping over it in the dark !!

I had problems with my power lead dropping out and the handset dying on me. A small screwdriver inserted into the hole it plugs into, and a slight bend on the terminal inside, and it stays put now. The other thing I had problems with was the power pack - kept running out of juice very quickly and when it did the mount acted weird. I got a bench power supply to run the 12v stuff - worked much more solidly after that, and we can pump up things like bicycle tyres & exercise balls by plugging the compressor into it instead of the car.

M.

Archived