Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stephen Hawking, universe in a nutshell

spacetrace

Hi Just thought i'd share my confusion, I have just started reading stephen hawkings universe in a nutshell and I am finding it hard to get my head around time relativity, I understand what is being said I just cant picture how it is possible.. how does time change if planes fly in opposite directions... and the whole twins paradox is crazy... I believe it but I dont quite understand it and how has this been tested... plus a second thing how can time change, if time is time and a second is one second how can it go faster or slower and then how could that affect ageing processes in that over the same "period of time" whilst travelling the one body hasnt changed but the other has aged! Maybe if I keep thinking about it the "penny will drop" why do i do this to myself on a sunday afternoon??

You may or may not be a little wiser after reading this.

I read it, and I'm still in the dark:D

Ron.

-------------------

Time is a dimension of matter as opposed to a changing or flowing entity. Nothing can exist

outside of the present in real terms, which encompasses the immediate sum of existence and

is always now. As time does not flow or change, however, concepts such as past and future

events do not exist. In abstract logic only, the past has had an effect on the present which

in turn creates future probabilities. What the observer sees as the flow of time is really

only a change in position relative to some other change in position.

As a dimension, however, the present by definition can be represented as a range of

possible values. The apparent contradiction of an existence with no past or future is the fact

that an object moving near the speed of light ages at a slower rate when compared to a

stationary object. Another rationalization of this effect is that the time dimensional value

of each object can be influenced by their respective velocities. Take an example of two

stationary objects in close proximity. At this point, each may have an equivalent time

dimensional value equal to some arbitrary number. Apply the argument above and the faster object

will begin to age at a slower rate. As the present has no single value, however, what is

occurring is not time travel as described above but rather the divergence of each object’s time

dimensional value. As the two objects return to close proximity, each again appears to

an observer to be in the present although with noticeable differences, proof of a range

of possible time dimensional values. This concept is analogous to altering the length of a

steel rod by changing its temperature. The connectivity of matter is revealed in this

dimensional view of time. There is little difference between establishing a standard of

length which can be applied anywhere in the universe and an object's time dimensional

value. In other words, events occurring at separate locations are inexorably linked by the

immediate present, just as the length of two rods may be certainly equivalent. An explanation

of why matter can neither exceed the speed of light nor cease all movement could be this aspect

of matter. Accelerating an object past the speed of light, however, may be no different than heating the

steel rod past its melting point. Time travel may in fact be no more than a change in state

much like this example.

<<What the observer sees as the flow of time is really

only a change in position relative to some other change in position.>>

Well it would be since we know of no other way of measuring it. But who knows in the future?

Archived