Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apo help please.

Bit of a dilemma regarding getting my first apo for some unguided imaging. I will eventually move upto guided imaging but for now its just a single scope setup. I know I've asked about apo's before but now the options are slightly more open.

Scopes up for consideration are as follows, I'll give approx prices aswell.

Stellarvue 80ED NHNG with rings and dovetail, approx £270 used

WO ZS66 with no accessories, approx £170 used

Ian King 70ED (WO clone?) with flattener , approx £310 new

WO Megrez 72 no accessories, approx £320 new

This is the worst headache I've ever had, they all have very good write ups. The IK70 looks like a very good package deal but the optics arnt quite as good as the Megrez.

Not sure on the Stellarvue as not really heard much about them.

The ZS66 seems a bit pricey for a used one.

If anyone has any experience using these scopes and could help shed some light on this pickle for me I'd be ever so grateful.

You can also check flickr.com for images from those scopes - you will be able to see their quality etc.

If you want to do imaging with monochrome camera (RGB or narrowband) you can also look at good achromats like Vixen A80SS. Image processing will be bit more work, but still good optics at lower price.

The 70ED and ZS66 are about equal in optical quality, but the ZS66 only has a 1.6" focuser whereas the 70ED has a nicer full sized 2" focuser but is a bit heavier.

The Megrez 72 is a small step up in optical quality with a 2" focuser that is similar in quality to the 70ED..

Stellarvue has better quality control across the whole range compared to William Optics and they do quite a wide range of refractors. They're one of the top brands and they star test every single scope before it's shipped.

It all depends on which 80ED is for sale as there have been three different versions. The original Night Hawk and then the much improved Night Hawk Next Generation and then the most desirable one, the bino-viewer ready spilt tube version. The latest version sold for £689.00 new in the UK.

John

wot? no Borg?

I'm afraid not, the selection is from new and used scopes I have found whilst looking into making this purchase, I'd be surprised to see a new Borg in that price range and didnt come across any used ones.

I'm open to all suggestions as I would really like to make this purchase the right one first time.

Stellarvue makes very good scopes. Fit and finish is first class and are mechanically very sound. If you're looking for an imaging scope, make sure you check the type of glass the lense group is made of. FPL53 if it's a doublet will give great color correction. A well done triplet with FPL51 glass will work well.

David

If it was me, I'd look for a secondhand M72 although with any of these scopes, I'd wager you'd need some kind of flattener with your DSLR to get a flat field.

I have a ZS66 and while it's a cracking scope, they don't make them anymore so parts might become an issue should you need them. Same goes for the ZS70/IK70.

There's been some long and heated debate about Stellarvue on other forums about excatly what QA they do. To be honest, I doubt that they star test every single scope that comes out of there, and I'll also bet that they get the same amount of returns as any other manufacturer in that bracket, which isn't the likes of Astro-Physics, Takahashi etc etc.

Tony..

Thanks all for the tips and pointer but I've ended up getting something that wasnt even on my list.

Managed to get myself a Skywatcher Equinox 80ED which I'm over the moon about as I've really liked the look of them since they were announced and looking at some reviews and comparisons people are rating them over the Megrez, so I'm one happy chappy.

Cant wait to stick my camera on the end of it and get snapping.

I can repeat what Tony has said, The ZS66 SD is a cracking imaging scope, but might be hard to find a reducer for it. I cannot comment on the others, you might want to consider a 2nd hand 80ED depending on what you get you might have to change the focuser.

Cheers

Nadeem.

Well there are a few reducers on the site one being a WO Type III reducer, which is suppose to give a flatter fov then the current WO reducer im using on my C80ED which is meant to be more optically matched for the ZS66 I have.

Im in the same boat, im currently looking to get a reducer which optically is more matched for the C80ED.

Cheers

Nadeem.

Archived