Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula HST palette

GordonH

Hi

I have been having problems with star trailing due to differential flexure which was more noticeable on the longer sub frames so I decided to try an OAG which along with the necessary adapters has arrived so last night I managed to put it to the test. I thought I'd try the Rosette Nebula and this is 6x20 minutes for Ha and OIII and 3x20 minutes for SII (a big oak tree about 40 yards away stopped further progress). Hopefully I will get some more data later on. The star trailing seems to have been resolved and the OAG was easy to set up as it has a helical focuser built in.

This was taken with the FSQ106 and H36 camera on a Paramount ME using 5nm NB filters. Dithering was used in the auto guiding. I have made several attempts at this object since I started imaging and these can be seen in the image gallery on my website Imaging The Heavens - Home Page

Thanks for looking

Best wishes and clear skies

Gordon

post-13589-133877426376_thumb.jpg

Nicely framed image, Gordon with some great detail. It looks like your 'flexure' is now a thing of the past judging from the 20min subs! Which OAG did you settle on?

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the comments, I got the Monster MOAG (manual off axis guider) from Astrodon as it has sufficient aperture for large chip cameras, they do a Mega Monster MOAG which is even bigger

Best wishes

Gordon

brilliant gordon!

you gots lots of S2 signal there, and the colour balance looks spot on.

congrats on POTW

paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the comments, funnily enough when the sub frames down load there appears to be very little SII but when the histograms are equalled in the processing there is actually quite a lot as I found when I finished the processing and then split the channels to have a look at the 3 separate channels

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived