Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In an effort to try and keep warm...

MG1

at Kielder, I'm thinking of extending all my cables so that I can keep the laptop inside the tent. I'll also extend my power cables so that rather than run on battery I can have an AC/DC power supply safely dry inside and a single cable out.

So if I use my existing cheap usb hub to connected camera, filterwheel, gps stick and eqdir to the laptop am I right in thinking there should be no problem if I keep the total cable run to any one device under 5M?

I'm not sure I can do this and so my second question is if anyone knows of any 12v Powered USB hubs out there?

;)

Mike

You should be OK if you keep it under 5m. I however would reccomend an active USB Extension cable and I would also think about powering a hub at the scope. I know what you mean about a 12volt hub, but you should be able to use one of those USB Cr power supply thingies to get the correct voltage for a powered hub.

Cheers Blinky.

What do you mean USB Cr thingies?

Powering a hub at the scope is a good idea. If I can get a 12v hub it'll run off my digifire accessory output I think.

I could always try a little home electronics and build a box to step down from 12v to whatever it needs (normally around 5v for these hubs I think)

Maybe I'll pop along to Maplins and see what they've got.

Not that I need another project at the moment though!

Now that sounds like a good idea!

Although it's not just about keeping warm, having the laptop inside also reduces any potential stray light that might upset visual observers. (what! a sensitive imager I hear you cry!)

I'm experimenting with the extender cable at the minute, so hopefully will have a solution ready for Kielder.

But I will have a look at those jackets. And remember my fir lined rigger boots this time!

Archived