Observatory fever!!!

Rob

Well its finally happend... I'm thinking about building an obs in the garden (with wife approval). I rather like the roll roof style, do any of you (apart from Andy as I know he has one) have an obs in the garden?, or maybe plan to have one in the future?.

I'm looking to share plans on how best to create the roll roof!!

Rob

:)

I was planning to have a roll off roof shed in the garden of my new house, the shed with concrete base was already there - so a pretty easy job of sorting ouit the roof...

But the house fell through, so we'll have to see where we end up...

I've found some good sites with roll off roof details, let me see what I can find out.

Ant

Thanks for that Ant.. I have seen the UKAI one, very nice that. Just need to work out a nice runner system (very similar to that one) that allows an easy action to open the roof. My dodgy back will not allow anything heavy... I can so easly put it out these days.

Rob

Something that always concerned me with the roll of design was the noise generated when opening and closing... in the dead of night even tripping over a black cat sounds like the world has just ended...

Ant

My favourite is starting the air compressor on my power pack by mistake, it has the same type of switch as the 'power out'. blumming noisy! :)

Something that always concerned me with the roll of design was the noise generated when opening and closing... in the dead of night even tripping over a black cat sounds like the world has just ended...

Ant

I really miss tripping over my black cat! :) I think you should both have neighbours like mine. The wooden roof makes a hell of a clang when it smacks against the tin shed. No-body stirs.

The scope creaks loudly when I move it (old age). Nobody stirs.

The 30+ clocks I have in my front room go off day & night (ask James when he's back - he's heard them over the phone!! :shock: :shock:). Yep, you've guessed it! NOBODY STIRS!! :)

I don't think that noise is such a big problem as it may seem when you're actually out there in the dead of night.

I'm not normal then... Anything wakes me up - but within seconds I'm snoring again. Never had any trouble falling asleep.

Sorry Andy, I forgot about your cat. We have three and one of them is really stupid and will sit just behind you in the dark and gets the hump when you tread on it! They are quite good for warming your hands up on cold nights though!

I could do with an engineering cap Rob, trying to attached something to something and just can't get my head around it!!!

Ant

Hey Ant I'll always remember the time my cat jumped silently up onto half of my roof! :shock: Silhouetted against the black of night, she looked like a giant rat! Almost gave me a heart attack-until she meaoowed that her feeding dish needed filling (again)!

they are strange things aren't they Andy! Our Cats live outside now - they have made there home in the garage and don't seem at all bothered about coming in doors. Infact even with the doors open they don't bother!

We were sitting watching a scarey (sort of) film a few weeks back with the lights off. The doors were shut and all of a sudden this big black thing came running into the front room - jesus christ I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack. But no it was dinsdale - how the hell he got in I'll never know.

You thought about getting another? Kittens are really fun!

Ant

My rolloff rolls on 8 rubber wheels, (or, it did before the storm blew it to Jupiter).  It's nearly silent, rolls at the push of the hand easily and works great.  It set on 2 4" angle iron rails 24' long.  When I rebuild the building, I've thought of reengineering it to run on steel wheels with a "v" notch to run on the edge of the angle iron.  I'll post or link a drawing when I get the chance.

Andy,  I know exactly how you feel about Winnie.  My cat, Bombur, lived with me for 16 years.  He got cancer and died quickly.  He was quite possibly the best cat ever.  When I lost him, I though I could never replace him, and it's true, I couldn't.  Almost 3 years passed, and I got to missing the companionship of a cat.  We "adopted" a cat that had moved in to our shed last fall.  While he's not Bombur, he is quite a character in his own right.

I'd never thought it possible to replace Bombur, but "Q" is now a welcome part of our family.  The thing is, you may find yourself missing the "catness", knowing the "cat" will not return.  When you do, or when you're ready, you'll know it, and you should really get another one.

Just mho.

Thanks for that, Astroman. We've probably hi-jacked Rob's original thread (sorry Rob). Although my cat died over a year ago, I've not yet felt the 'inclin' to get another............still miss her :)

pussy.jpg

As you can see, totally black.............just right to trip you over in the dead of night! :shock:

Archived