SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horizon 8115 Tripod

Thanks Brian,

I can't work out where the 3/8" thread is though! I took off the head with the two hex bolts that attach from underneath, then unscrewed the azimuth tensioner. The thread under that seems to be much tighter (more tpi) than a standard 3/8" tripod fitting. What am I missing ?

Cheers

Andrew

The Horizon has only a 1/4 thread fitting. To fit a head with a 3/8 fitting you'll need one of the 1/4 to 3/8 adaptors. They just screw into the head and change it to a 1/4 fitting.

Search on eBay (or elsewhere) for:

1/4" to 3/8" Tripod Adaptor

Took a quick look on eBay and the adaptor is £1.99 delivered.

John

No you have to remove the existing head first. It's only screwed on so just grab a hold of it and the top of the tripod and twist the head until it starts to unscrew. Tighten the "Az" clamp first though.

Here's a photo of the head when removed to clarify exactly where the head and tripod separate.

John

Okay - got it! Thanks. I tried that before but obviously didn't use enoguh beef!

It's actually a pretty decent tripod - I am considering putting it under a Alt-Az mount for observing with my ED120. It seems stable enough if you don't extend it fully. What do you reckon?

Cheers

Andrew

Yes they tighten down the head pretty well and it can take some force to shift it.

It's not a bad tripod really for the money, but I'm not sure how well it would support an ED120. You might need a more substantial tripod such as Manfroto 475 for example.

John

Archived