Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters for Visual

Hi all

I am thinking about getting one or two filters for visual only using a 120mm achro refractor and (on the way) a 12" dob.

I am thinking about CA and nebula search filters. CA is not a major problem with the f8.3 achro but maybe I can improve contrast etc?

Please can anyone recommend any that will give decent performance in reasonably light polluted skies (I realise the implications for DSOs of course but want to improve my chances at home and when I can get to dark sites). I am after decent quality but not megabucks kit.

thanks in advance to all

Shane

I've not tried any contrast boosting filters so I can't help there but for deep sky objects (well nebulae at least) UHC filters are quite effective. I've used the UHC-S from Baader, the Skywatcher UHC and the Orion (US) Ultrablock and they had a positive effect, especially on planetary nebulae. OIII filters can be even more effective but generally work better in apertures of 8" and above. You might ultimately find that you want a UHC and an OIII with the latter being used in your 12" dob to great effect. I've not found a filter to help with glaxies as yet - dark skies are the best for those !.

Archived