Dumb question time!

OK time for probally a really basic and dumb question - but how do you connect a webcam to a scope?

By this I mean you obviously need some form of adpater but is it a case of 'one size fits all' being there are a number of different models of cams out there!

Yes it's an adapter. You unscrew the webcam lens (it's not needed) and screw the adaptor into the socket the lens came out of. Depends which web cam you are using which adaptor you need - there are a few different patterns.

What type of webcam is it? - Is it a CMOS or CCD - CCD as used in some of the dearer webcams are recommended ie Phillips Toucam 900, 840K (and maybe the 740K).

However some CMOS ones work too. - There is a site (and I cannot remember it - damn!) with a listing of various models etc.

The adaptor you are looking for is called a 'Mogg' adaptor. - Thread depths on webcams vary so make sure you get the right length or else you may damage the protection over the chip.

thanks for the replies - im actually not too sure of the details (i have posted it in the imaging board to see if anyone else knows the model - HP basic starter camera)

had a search on some astro shops and cant seems to find anthing listed as a mogg - by looking at the design of this cam i would think it would use the same adapter as the Toucam

A mogg adapter is just a brand name, just as Hoover is used to describe a vacuum cleaner. There are two versions of the webcam adapter. The first type fits earier versions of the Toucam (840k and before) and similar webcams. The second has a longer thread to suit the SPC900 webcams with deeper bodies.

The link for various webcams WEB-CAMERAS

Peter

Archived