NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

home made dobsonian

stampy10000

Having put in for voluntary redundancy, I've now got a few months to myself to make something astronomical! I already have the material for building my own dobsonian mount, I'm just not sure what to use for the OTA. I've some experience in composites, has anyone laid up their own tube in glass fibre / carbon fibre?

Can you get sonotube in the uk? Looking at a 10 inch mirror unless I can find a larger mirror 2nd hand for a good price!

For 10+ inch look online for plans for a Truss scope.... a lot more portable. Sure you'll have to collimate it, but that's no bad thing. I have the optics from an old Meade 16" lurking about if you are interested.

I can sympathise about redundancy, my whole group is 'at risk' and the decision keeps getting delayed..... interesting to see how everyone takes it differently.

All the best

PEterW (London)

For some reason, the idea of building a truss tube dob fills me with dread, don't know why! Maybe because I'm concerned that things won't line up properly.

Although probably out of my price range, what would you want for your 16" optics??

Cheers

Archived