Advice for astrophotography

Did we mention, astrophotography is addictive..........and an expensive habit to feed :)

As for the focus, Auto focus seems to struggle unless you can find a really bright point.

Welcome to the dark side ;):D :D

Yes.. but a fastish lens like we would tend to use always seems to focus on either moon, mars, jupiter, sirius etc.

there's always one of them around!

I can focus my canon with 200mm f1.8 plus 2x extender @ f4 stopped on most brighter stars...

Steve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of photographers who have never used a P&S or bridge camera with liveview have ever thought about it. When I was spec'ing my dSLR, liveview was one of the criteria... ok it doesn't get used much... but it's really useful at times, just the focusing with Live AF is soooo slow.. compared to normal...

As repeated a few times, quite rightly, I'm definately going to be disappointed with something budget, and going after an Astrotrac or similar would be much better course of action.

I've seen great pictures taken with the Astrotrac so it is good for wide field.

However I think in the long run you'd be better off with an HEQ5 because you can add the scope to it later on. In fact the astrotrac costs more then an HEQ5 + 80ED refractor on second hand and nearly as much as new.

Take a look at the imaging section and picture of the week competitions. You'll be amazed with the quality of the pictures taken with the HEQ5+ED80 combinations. Bare in mind those images toke a lot of work and dedication, it's not the kind of thing you achieve on day 1.

Here's good example of what can be achieved with a Camera without a scope. You do need accurate tracking and good processing skills.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/91528-auriga-widefield.html

(I hope kevin doesn't think I have some kind of infatuation with him! :) It's like the 10th time I reference that photo on a post, but it is indeed a great photo with pinpoint stars and many DSOs visible.)

• 2 years later...

I hope to try some photography down the road...

In the mean time, I'm keeping an eye out for a second hand DSLR as I search for some second-hand equipment...

Problem is, I don't know which models I should be looking for, or even if I should concentrate on getting a good web cam instead...

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Mike

Archived