NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello and a celebration for a new scope!

Jim!

Hi all,

Having been lurking for some time and bought a scope from the classifieds of this very board, I thought it was time to check in and say hi.

Since last week I have been using a Russian made 3" newt, had it now for well over 10 years, bought by my parents a a gift when I was little. It is built like a tank out of thick gauge steel... the pier looks suspiciously like a scaffold pole. It has however served me well for (very) casual observing and gives a reasonable view of Jupiter with a little colour banding, Saturn in an indistinct fuzzy but the rings are defiantly there (if you squint).

However... a couple of months ago, after a beery all nighter, I was pulled into this past time in a big way when I looked at Saturn through a 10" Meade SCT.

;) *%&$ I never knew it could look like that! ;)

After my buddy took me on a tour of the more spectacular M numbers avalible I was sold, I needed to upgrade my scope. To cut short, after umming and ahhhing for a time, Neil Phillip's 8" SCT LX10 presented itself through the google search :)

Took it out the other night 10pm for a view S and E taking in Mars and M42. Beautiful contrasty features evident on Mars, strands of nebulosity in M42 could be seen despite the full(ish) moon close by.

Damn I think I’m bitten by this bug. So much to learn but so much to see.

Welcome to the forum Jim. Sounds like you are bitten now.....could be slippery slope (aperture fever, eyepiece envy)....get the cash at the ready! Only joking of course. :)

Enjoy your new purchase, it's a great scope, i have the same one and love it.

Regards

Russ

Thanks very much everyone.

I'm always amazed with the quality and quantity of information sites such as SGL have, an invaluable resource I will contribute to.

@russ, I'm well on the way down the slope, just ordered a 7mm ortho after being disappointed with a barlowed 17mm skywatcher plossl. I can justify this, Mars is such a lovely sight atm :)

Nice choice Jim. And 286x will be a great mag for Mars, just right. Also handy for Jupiter later when it starts to rise high in the sky.....roll on 2011 for that, although 2010 won't be bad.

Russ

Archived