NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focusing with a newt

mikeglr

Hi all just brought a 250 Orion newt and also a low profile focuser had my first chance to use it last night and still can't get it to focus without a barlow is the only option left to move the mirror and if so how hard is that to do

I'm using a cannon 1000d with 1.25 t ring but have got 2" t ring ordered not sure if it'll help or not

I've got a 250px skywatcher dob and have the same problem. I've tried moving the mirror up but the bolts don't seem to be long enough so i have ordered a low profile focuser and this will hopefully solve the issue. Moonlite's low profile focuser with mounting plates should allow sufficient travel :)

Hi all just brought a 250 Orion newt and also a low profile focuser had my first chance to use it last night and still can't get it to focus without a barlow is the only option left to move the mirror and if so how hard is that to do

I'm using a cannon 1000d with 1.25 t ring but have got 2" t ring ordered not sure if it'll help or not

Is the problem a lack of inwards focuser travel or a lack of outwards travel?

Peter

Inwards travel is the problem even with the low profile focuser , you can see the star in live view about to come into focus but just not enough inward travel that's why I thought I might be able to move the mirror up I have a laser colli so I can re collminate after but not sure how you do it

If your planning on using a newt your going to have to collimate it at somepoint. I know it sounds scary but with a bit of patience its not that hard.

Your only moving the primary which is always the easier of the two - its only when you need to recollimate the secondary that things get SERIOUSLY scary for beginners.

Even doing the lot isnst hard as much as it needs patience and a kind of gentle minded obsessiveness.

Personally I doubt moving the mirror up will help. What sort of low profile focuser is it ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived