NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WO scope help

I'm looking at a couple of scopes on the basis of a portable setup and something to do some wide field imaging with and wondered if anyone could tell me the differences between the two.

They are both Williams Optics, one is the Zenithstar 70 APO, and the other is the Megrez 72 FD APO.

Are there any real differences between the two, other than £40, as they seem fairly similar?

Apparently there is just a tiny bit more CA with the 70, but with the price Ian has on the IKA 70 I could live with that. There shouldn't be any problems with a DSLR.

There was a fairly recent thread on the IKA 70 somewhere here on SGL that gave a very positive opinion of it.

John

If you're using a DSLR, then a field flattener will be very useful if you want to get the full FOV from the setup with round stars all the way to the edge.

Give Ian a call, he's a decent chap who will help you out with any questions, and is a great imager.

Cheers

Rob

Apparently there is just a tiny bit more CA with the 70, but with the price Ian has on the IKA 70 I could live with that. There shouldn't be any problems with a DSLR.

There was a fairly recent thread on the IKA 70 somewhere here on SGL that gave a very positive opinion of it.

John

I have a ZS70 which I use as my grab'n'go scope. It collapses to a very small size so easily fits into a camera backpack. I haven't noticed any significant CA I must admit. It does give very pleasing low mag views. I have heard it said that the M72 is better corrected, but I can't compare as I've never used one. However, it's not far behind my M90 in terms of sharpness - there is a little more fall off at the edges. I like it and, of course, as a WO it's beautifully made.

post-13618-133877423147_thumb.jpg

Hi Si,

Let us know what IK has to say about the IKI - just about to buy a guidescope and am torn between a cheapo achromat and a decent small apo. The IKI is within price range and with the FR/FF looks to be very good value :)

Archived