new 5mm EP for planets. TMB??

Hi all

Ive decided against buying a skywatcher deluxe x2 barlow to complete my eyepiece set (giving mags upto 200x) - I think Im going to get a 5mm planetary EP instead.

My thinking being: my 25mm plossl barlowed will be not much different from my 10mm plossl on its own, and the 6.3mm kelner I have will not barlow at all, so the only use I will get out of the barlow will be with the 10mm plossl - so i might as well get a decent 5mm EP instead (giving the same 200x mag).

I dont really want to go much more than about £50 - I quite like the look of the TMB Burgess 5mm planetary EP but I cant find it anywhere (SCS Astro says sold out on website).

Does anyone know where I can get one or one that is very similar (and as good :)).

I get paid on friday (at last) but I cant be too extravagant so Im gonna say £55 is the limit (same as the price of the TMB Burgess 5mm on the SCS astro website). I want a rubber eyecup, good eye relief (I hate my eyelashes touching my kelner) and of course nice views.

any advice and links appreciated.

thankyou

warren:icon_salut:

also the lens part of the EP that you look in (cant believe I dont know what this is called) looks like it has a wider diameter on the 5mm TMB planetary than on 5mm plossls, kelners or orthos (from pics on the net). Am I seeing things?

Is this wider diameter a thing to be desired?

Thanks again

Warren

also the lens part of the EP that you look in (cant believe I dont know what this is called) looks like it has a wider diameter on the 5mm TMB planetary than on 5mm plossls, kelners or orthos (from pics on the net). Am I seeing things?

Is this wider diameter a thing to be desired?

Thanks again

Warren

The design of those eyepieces needs slightly larger diameter lenses so the body they are housed in is fatter and a bit longer. They are by no means the fattest 1.25" eyepieces - just look at this Meade 5000 Super Wide !:

Meade - Meade Series 5000 Super Wide Angle

It's only really an issue if you want to use a pair of them in binoviewers.

thanks part timer!!! I will order on payday!!!! :)

PS John - I think you misunderstood me, I didnt mean the housing of the EP I meant the actual lens you look in (looking through my kelner is like looking through a straw, but the planetary EP has a lens has a wider diameter even though its a 5mm?)

thanks everyone - job done!!

Warren

.....PS John - I think you misunderstood me, I didnt mean the housing of the EP I meant the actual lens you look in (looking through my kelner is like looking through a straw, but the planetary EP has a lens has a wider diameter even though its a 5mm?)

Ooops !

But, yes the diameter of the eyelenses do seem to vary depending on the eyepiece design. All my 1.25" Tele Vue Naglers have an eyelens 18mm across, even the 3.5mm one.

.....And now I know that the part of the lens that you look through is called the eyelens

No probs :)

The one at the other end is called the field lens and the ones in between are called ...... er ..... the other lenses ;)

Archived