Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Handset Upgrade

Is the Celestron Handset upgrade worth the £134 price tag?

I currently have version 1.6 firmware for the hand controller that came with my NS8GPS, I believe that any handset with firmware less than version 3 requires the new handset. Is the later version of the firmware that much better that it would be money well spent getting the upgrade? Or will the money be better spent elsewhere?

I will be using the NS8GPS equitorially mounted when my Orbit Wedge arrives.

Regards

Darren

It does allow you some neat extra features Darren, such as precise goto, synch, which are useful for imaging and constellation tour (but you also lose the GPS align - all tied up with the law suit with Celestron). A cheaper way of getting the handset is to look for a cheap SLT mount. I bought an SLT60 new off ebay for £75 - so got a cheaper handset and a telescope, red dot finder, eyepieces and mount thrown in :)

If you're going mostly imaging you could use Nexremote instead, which will give you all the extra features of the upgrades from your PC. You just need the software and a cable to connect to the bottom of the handset.

Helen

Archived