NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Counter Balance Weights

When using my Canon 350D on prime focus I have been having problems with upward movements of objects in the FOV after the goto has found and stopped art its destination. It turn out that it is the weight of the Camera as it does not do it when the Camera is removed and the eyepiece replaced. When I was recommended to go over to 2" eyepieces I noticed then that the gotos ended up with the object at the bottom of the FOV. So I need some counter balance weights. On the Celestron 8i the weights are a wacking £100 +Any ideas for a cheaper way of CB rather that a bag of frozen peas on the end of the Scope?

Robin

Arthur (Ambermile) does a counterbalance system for around £70. Mine is on order! However you can take an old sock, fill it with a sand and epoxy mixture. Press it against the scope whilst it cures (protecting your scope with some plastic sheet of course). Then attach a strip of velcro underside of scope and to sock. Hey presto - an adjustable counterweight.

Arthur (Ambermile) does a counterbalance system for around £70. Mine is on order!

... and isn't it a pain in the bum? Converting the system from Meade (easy) to Celestron (pain-in-the-thingie) has been interesting. Done now though - as is the rail system and rings. Waiting for some more stainless bar though...

Arthur

Archived