SynScan Drivers needed

Hi

I dont know if anyone can help me but i'm tring to connect my Synscan AZ to Go mount to my computer using the RS-232 cable and a RS-232 _ USB lead. I'm trying to use Stellarium as the software but am finding it difficult to make the connection, do i need some sort of driver for the computer or has Stellarium got them built in.?

I don't use Stellarium, but I believe there's a separate Stellarium scope control package that you also need to install. That does all the smart stuff and should allow you to control GOTO's etc.

The Synscan is selected using "Celestron telescope" under ASCOM.

Hope this helps.

There should be a drop down box appear when click on configure within the programme. I use Starry Night, so I don't know about Stellarium. If there is a cofigure box, clicking on it should present you with a drop down which should contain the EQ6 mount, select that, and make sure the Com port matches that of the Serial/USB Converter. That port can be checked in the device manager of Windows Right click My Computer, click on Properties, then select the Hardware Tab at the top, then Device Manager. Scroll down to Ports Com and LPT, and see what port is allocated to the Serial Adaptor. That is the port to assign to the EQ6.

Ron.

You have to install a program called StellariumScope. You also need the latest ASCOM platform, 5, and the update to it, 5.5, and the latest celestron unified driver set. Then, when you load StellariumScope, you select the Celestron ASCOM driver, and from there you go to the bottom of the list and select the Skywatcher mount. In StellariumScope, check the box to launch Stellarium, and check the box to connect to the mount. If I have remembered this correctly, and everything is correct, it will make the connection.

However, before you do this, you have to set the HEQ5 hand-controller to 'PC Direct' mode via the handset. Check that you have this option available in the Utilities section of your handset. If you don't, and you have a version 3 handset, you need to download the latest update to the version 3 handset, and update it to the latest version. Then it will be available, and you will be able to connect through the handset.

However, I have little confidence in running the update via a USB/serial adapter, so if possible, run the update through an RS232 port.

M.

PPS. Just remembered another thing you have to do. Find the config.ini file for Stellarium and add:

Under [astro] at the start:

flag_telescopes =true

flag_telescope_name =ASCOM

& at the end add:

[telescopes]

1 =Telescope:TCP:localhost:10000:500000

The file was in C:\Users\ (name)\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium for me (Windows 7), if you are running XP it might be somewhere else - like either in the Stellarium program folder or your user directory. It makes a couple of links to it in places as well.

Good luck. It is worth getting it going, just to see it work. I did a rough alignment on where I thought Betelgeuse would be if I was outdoors and it wasn't cloudy.

M.

Mish,

Under CdC etc when using the Synscan controller connection and ASCOM "Celestron Telescopes" the hand controller is NOT set to "PCDirect"

If I want to use EQMOD to control the mount, using the Synscan connection, I must "bypass" the Synscan by setting to PCDirect and set the type of mount to "Synscan EQ5/6"

So, direct connection to Synscan = no PCDirect

EQMOD connection = PCDirect.

Ken

Archived