Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography Setup!!

Hi.

I would like to try and do some wide field astrophotography using my driven Vixen GP2 (Starbook-s ) with a Canon 350d mounted on a ball head. I have added a picture so you can see the setup!!..The Lens is a 50mm f1.8, I also have a shutter release cable for long exposure.

My main concern is setting the alignment for tracking on the Vixen using only the camera.. Is this doomed to failure? Any advice/ tips would be most welcome.

Acme

post-16439-13387742223_thumb.jpg

If you can achieve a reasonable polar alignment with the mounting, it doesn't matter where the camera points, it will still track the stars.

With a 50mm lens you get a fair amount of leeway in the accuracy of alignment.

You'll be impressed with the results.

??

Would I still need to do a 2 star alignment for it track say M42? I have been told that I could get 4 mins unguided with this mount..

The polar scope is very accurate, you may have noticed by now but this is all very new to me..I have not used the mount in anger yet..

Just set it up, polar aligned through an open window and did a few

slews to check it all worked....:)

Acme..

Yes, You need to have it polar aligned, but I'd start with just the alignment through the polar scope.

Where you WILL need good/ better alignment is if you want to use the GOTO to centre the traget object.

Tracking has nothing to do with GOTO.

I'm pretty sure that you'll get your 4min tracking with the 50mm lens!

No you don't need to do a 2 star alignment if you can locate the target without goto. The 2 star alignment is only for the goto, it has nothing to do with the tracking, as Ken says that is all down to the polar alignment. The Vixen polar scope is excellent and if used with care you will be able to track for a long long time unguided with that set up.

Thanks guys,

Polar alignment I can do..

So I can just ignore the starbook-s alignment and use the sidereal tracking motion only? Will this give me reasonable results, have you guys got any example photos of what I could expect to achieve

I can't wait to get some clear skies now...

Acme

Archived