Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Planisphere

Help really appreciated

using my ou issue planisphere im trying to work out rise and set times for named stars for a given date - can i work out how to do it , err no and its driving me mad

pointers really appreciated.

John B

Hi John, place your left thumb on the desired month and keep that portion of the planisphere aimed towards yourself so you can read the dial easily. Then slowly rotate the hour wheel (the one with the window on it) clockwise till you see your target star 'rising' in the east. Look on the month (by your left thumb) and see what time slot matches your specific target date, and that's what time the star will rise on that particular date.

Continue rotating the hour wheel till your target star transits all the way across the window on the planisphere and reaches the western horizon. Once again, look at the date by your thumb and you'll see the time the star will set on that particular date. :)

Archived