Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG-5 polar allignment scope

When I bought my CG5 mount I also looked for an illuminated polar scope and could not fine one. Someone on SGL recommended making my own illumination kit but I decided to buy the standard Celestron scope and I illuminate the engraved star field with a red torch. Not the best system but it does work for me.

mark

I recently bought the non-illuminated polar scope for my CG5-GT. I've never used a polar scope before and was surprised to find a nice star field when looking through it.

But when I used it at night the first time I saw exactly nothing of that star field. Why on earth have they made the engraving black? Wouldn't white have been slightly better. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference in darkness though.

I use my red LED torch to shine into the other end of the polar scope. But this way you either see the pole star or the star field, not both. Not extremely helpful either.

Archived