Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6mm UWA EP - good or bad?

Thanks again everyone for the replies and feedback.

Russ:

In terms of what size eyepieces to have i like:

32mm 1.25" or 2" for finding/widefield

13mm-18mm for workhorse eyepiece

5mm-9mm for planetary/close up

This will be an excellent estimate for me when I start looking at other EP's. In the mean time I will wait for them to ship the 6mm UWA :)

I also believe that barlow's might be something to look into...as far as I understand they magnify what the EP shows by up to 3 times...that is truly impressive.

Cheers!

J.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can effectively double your eyepiece set in one go. As with eyepieces, some barlows are better than others.

Barlows are frowned upon by some and liked by others. I personally wouldn't be without my 2x barlow. :)

OK, I will have to research into barlows sometime in the future.

Just heard back from astroshop and found out that they didn't even have the EP in stock and now I have to wait at least 2 more weeks before it arrives. This really isn't a sign of good service :) ...especially having to chase down my orders after the transaction has been made :D

Regarding number of eyepieces:

Often 3 or 4 will be enough

Until quite recently I used a 40mm 2" super wide angle (TMB Paragon), the 26mm Plossl that came with the scope, then jumped to a 9mm Vixen LV and for nights with sufficient seeing a 7mm LV (scope F/10). The latter two for planetary work. I then plugged the gap with a Meade Ultra-Wide Angle 14 mm. This in turn has pushed the 26 mm out, because the field of view of the two is almost the same.

I am now replacing the 26mm with a ultra-wide angle 22mm, to bridge the gap between the 40mm and the 14mm, and upgrading my planetary eyepieces, but am unlikely to go beyond 5 eyepieces in my case.

Michael: That's an excellent review! The 14mm UWA sounds really tempting. Wonder how good is it for observing galaxies and nebulas :)

Russ: they charge around extra 20 Eur to deliver. The price for the actual EP was 34. So in total it comes at a very high price...well at least for me :D Which shop in UK delivers it for just 24 pounds? Do they send shipments to the EU?

J.

Yes, I tired these stores and both said that they were out of stock. When I ordered from Astroshop I assumed that they had the EP on stock...and obviously I was wrong. So now will have to wait weeks before I get anywhere close to this eyepiece. What a bummer.

Not sure what your budget is but have you considered the TS Planetary HR 5mm? It's from Teleskope Service in Germany. It's costs £48 in the UK compared to £29 for the Skywatcher but i think you will be buying a superior eyepiece. It's still a widefield eyepiece but better corrected.

Another option maybe the Paradigm, i have just swapped my entire eyepiece collection to these. They are on Ebay for £36 and are absolutely brilliant for the money. Again, not sure if the seller will ship to the EU.

Russ

Russ: I will definitely consider the recommended 5mm if this order fails completely. I think I should wait until next week to see if they finally ship it out. Otherwise will have to start sending request for a refund.

Michael: Yes, I am perfectly aware that UK is part of EU. But most telescope shops in the UK have options like "ship to EU" assuming that shipments to the UK is the obvious choice for the UK citizens...hence the reason why I asked this way. No offense :)

Russ: I will definitely consider the recommended 5mm if this order fails completely. I think I should wait until next week to see if they finally ship it out. Otherwise will have to start sending request for a refund.

Michael: Yes, I am perfectly aware that UK is part of EU. But most telescope shops in the UK have options like "ship to EU" assuming that shipments to the UK is the obvious choice for the UK citizens...hence the reason why I asked this way. No offense :D

None taken :)

One Brit in the Euro-zone

Archived