Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

17/01/2010 - An Evening of firsts

AndyC

Only my third outing, I'd sort of planned some things to look at.

Still beset by general LP, a couple of specific security lights and the soon not to be empty house opposite, having its heating on full blast trying to dry out after what looks like a burst pipe!

So a thin Crescent Moon gave great views even though it was partly through a tree at times! Noticed one prominant crater on the terminator (Langrenus perhaps ?) Suppose that's my first Best view of the Moon magnified. Oh and another quick view of Jupiter which never fails to thrill. Even snapped it and the with my old Olympus Camedia but haven't posted it as BeyondVision's is just so superb.

Then let it get dark looked westwards (my darkest view) to find the Clusters M29 and M39 the former more compact and by far the prettier IMO. A quick look at the Pleiades just above next doors roof - too big for my FOV really but so blue.

On to M15, my first Globular, easily found fuzzy blob that I couldn't resolve.

OK try something more challenging then... M77 my first Galaxy apart from Andromeda bit more tricky to find, looked for a string of 8th and 9th mag stars and there in the middle was something or two, shecked that theres a 10th mag star there as well and I was definately seeing two points and some fuzz around one of them.

Now Mars was peeping over the garage and I get a quick look at it before it vanishes behind next door. First time I've seen its disk, but not particularly good seeing in that direction, I got the impression that one half (south) was darker than the other and might have had lighter bit at the pole... might have imagined or wished it though.

Orion was now peeping around next door still somewhat in Birmingham's glow ...focused on Rigel whilst the nebula cleared the walls ... yes for my first non-binocular view of that object. I've seen so many fantastic images over the years, thanks guys, that I didn't know quite what to expect, other than it wouldn't photographic. Still impressive especially the trapezium which is what I seemed to concentrate on, only able to find the four main stars though.

Going to Bed contented!

Andy

That was a very good night with lots of firsts! Seeing something for the first time is always a thrill.

I also experienced some bad seeing to the east today. Mars just failed to get sharp and was a bit excessive bright even at 240x. The only details I managed to get out of it was the pole and the dark collar around the pole.

you must have darker skies then you think to see M77 as it's Sbr is 12.8 mag

Have checked some of the fainter members of M29 that I was seeing earlier without too much difficulty, certainly down to 11 - 11.5. So given that visibility and M77's almost star-like core I'm happy to have found it even if it was right at the limit.

Mr security light on the house opposite is now on shining directly into the kitchen, even blinds me doing the dishes, and over my prime observing spot too:mad:... good job it's too cloudy this evening.

Andy

Archived