Clear skies for a few hours, me with 10x50 bins - what to look for?

Hurray, the cloud has gone!

I reckon I might be able to catch Jupiter before it sets... what would seasoned stargazers suggest as alternative targets are up over the next few hours !? I have 10x50 bins on a tripod - I can probably see mag 4 with the naked eye.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Mars will also be high enough in the east(ish)....SE. It will just look like an orange/copper/red star in 10X50 bins.........but at least you can add it to your list of observed objects. Also Saturn (look for a bright yellow "star") should be up. Not too sure what time it rises at the moment. I think the cloud you are expecting will block it out before it rises.

Thanks for the suggestions....

A bit of a live observing post here... Jupiter plus four moons (I think) were nice (telescope mount for bins is paying off, though I need a taller tripod!)...

M45 (Pleiades) gorgeous!

Now about to strain my neck looking for M31....

Saturn rising around 11 accorfing to stellarium.

Well, I've just spent a wonderful few hours exploring the heavens... It's incredible how much you can see with simple binoculars even in a very light polluted area.

Thanks for the tips Luke - the double cluster in Perseus is simply spectacular, and not something I'd have known to look for otherwise. I managed to star-hop to M31 too, and was pleased that after finding it once I could find my way back there without too much difficulty.

When using a telescope, is star-hopping more difficult? My bins give a 6 and a bit degree field of view, so I can often squeeze two 'waypoint' stars in my view at once - a scope I suppose has a much narrower field of view so how do you manage to hop without getting lost!?

In all a very satisfying evening (and I may yet be tempted out again if I am not too tired and the clouds stay away).

:)

When using a telescope, is star-hopping more difficult? My bins give a 6 and a bit degree field of view, so I can often squeeze two 'waypoint' stars in my view at once - a scope I suppose has a much narrower field of view so how do you manage to hop without getting lost!?

Star hoping with a scope is a bit more difficult because of the smaller FOV but by no means impossible. I generally star hop with a scope using a 32mm EP til i get to where i am going and then reduce the size of the EP until i am bang on the money.

With a set of binos at this time of year I like picking off star clusters such as M36, M37 and M38 in Auriga. They're just smudges in bino's from a light polluted area but it's still nice to see them glowing against the background.

James

Archived