Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which colour filter is best?

I would like to purchase a colour filter for viewing planets (currently Mars). Is there one particular colour thats a good all-rounder for planets? I do have a moon filter, is that worth using on Mars? I've seen Orange, Red and Blue recommended but which would I get the most use from?

I find filters rarely improve the view. however the usual reccomendation for Mars is orange or light red (23A not the 25 range). Jupiter works better with a light green or blue filter. But no filter will improve wobbly/smeared seeing to any noticeable extent, except deep red #29, and that takes huge amounts of aperture to get enough light through it (except when viewing the Moon).

I'd disagree, I'm afraid. Filters can make a huge difference to what you're seeing! I've used a green, blue and light pollution filter on Jupiter and the difference in the views of the bands is extremely noticeable.

I have yet to experiment with Mars (beginning to forget what clear skies are like!) but have heard that light red and light orange are especially good.

That's just IMHO though. You may find different. Best thing to do is take all the advice here, try it all and see what suits best!

Archived