Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 - Orion Nebula LRGB

Coolhandjo

Hi all,

Took this the other night as follows:

SWED80 and DSI III PRO LRGB 30:15:15:15 2 min, 1 min, 30sec subs

Guided on LX200 10" with dsi iii pro.

Baader UV/IR, Hutech LPS -2

Cropped to remove bright star halo on left.

PS curves, masking for core, levels

I am happy with it (being the first time I have used multiple merges exposure times on an image).

Great to have had some clear weather!

Comments welcome and thanks for veiwing :)

post-18323-133877419983_thumb.jpg

Olly, thanks for comments. The colour separation issue stems from three things. Firstly I use stock standard Meade LRGB filters (they tend to blend due to the spectral lines blurring), secondly I use a Hutech LPS light pollution filter (it can cause some colour cast - usually green). I also usually only go for 2 min subs as I am on a stock standard Meade LX200 mount (even though guided anything longer than 2 min I get irregular periodic error and have to throw every third image out). I use saturation and hue post processing to compensate. What you see is about the best I can get!

The solution is to get better LRGB filters I think :)

Nicely blended image and well captured.

Throw those horrid meade filters in the bin and get some Baaders or Astronomiks. The meade ones are rubbish and you are nowhere near to getting the best results from your gear while you're using them!

Re. LX200 mounts, I had one for a couple of years and had no trouble with subs of 5 or 6 minutes.

I used PHD guiding, but also had PEC turned on. This isn't normally the way to go when autoguiding but it worked for me.

Cheers

Rob

I like this one very much, very subtle and sympathetically processed. I get the impression that in the larger view it is a little 'soft' and having a little play in PhotoShop to sharpen it a fraction certainly released a little more of the fine detail - but you should be pleased with it.

Where the heck did you get some clear sky? :)

I like this one very much, very subtle and sympathetically processed. I get the impression that in the larger view it is a little 'soft' and having a little play in PhotoShop to sharpen it a fraction certainly released a little more of the fine detail - but you should be pleased with it.

Where the heck did you get some clear sky? :)

Thanks Steve - comments appreciated. I try and not overdo the proessing these days! I live in Sydney Australia and we have had a few nights clear so I got this in before the clouds came back!

Yes, you are right regarding the softness - more sharpening could of been done for sure! I am looking forward to seeing if the new astronomiks will give a sharper image from the outset.

Regards

Paul

Archived