NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Supply Question

Since i mostly observe from just outside the garage door, I would like to run the mount, dew control etc from the mains socket in the garage. Obviously i'd need and RCD and some sort of PSU to give a 12V output- but which one exactly would you recommend?

Thanks

20A Ripmax Pro Peak is my Weapon of choice Beloved of the RC Racing Fraternity I use the second set of terminal to "float" a 110AH Leisure battery so that I can ride through any power problems...

Moor Models Ripmax Chargers

The £39 one handy current output digital display on the front as well and its a Switch mode design so doesn't chuck out all the heat the linears do and is a lot lighter...

Billy...

If you are going to be running a mount and multiple dew straps, you could easily pull at least 5A when slewing around. I still remember the horrible noises my NS8GPS made fully loaded up with the 7A unit (WO66 on top, plus telrad, dew straps on the C8/WO66/telrad) and when I slewed the mount, you could hear the PSU buzzing and struggling. Turned the dew controller off, problems went away.

Bigger should be better (all other things being equal)

I also used the maplin PSUs, and there's no doubt that they are very good, but even with an RCB in line, it's not safe to have them outside and exposed to the risk of a rainshower. The RCB, assuming it's recently tested and working will cut the power if there's earth leakage, but even so, this is not the safe and approved way to provide external power, especially when there's 240V around. I think that this should be done with batteries or a properly designed external power supply.

If the DC cable run is not too long, the cable is of suitable guage, and because the Maplin PSU's output 13.8V, the voltage drop may not be too bad if the PSU is kept indoors and DC cable used to run to the mount.

Aye. Your best bet is to keep it all indoors and just run the low voltage dc outside. The thicker the conductor in the cable you use, the less voltage you will lose at the telescope end.

The voltage drop for 5m is about about 1% for a 3mm dia conductor (@10 amps) : 2% for a 2mm Dia : 8% for 1mm Dia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Apologies for chipping in and reviving a not-so-old thread. Recent events have led me to look at changing my power source (HEQ5 threw a wobbly with low powertank). At home, I don't need a powertank, and for off-site I have the SLT mount, which doesn't draw much power. I looked at other tanks, and various alternatives. But, I set up the scope right outside the conservatory, and the mains runs right to a socket near the door where I put the laptop, etc. So, I'm thinking an AC->12vDC converter would be best for my needs.

I could probably get away with the Maplins one for now (no dew-heaters yet). I'm not electrical - I could be, but I'm not, not with DC anyway. Also, I hate exposed connections and wires hanging around (H&S thing). So, I'm assuming I could just connect a lighter socket to the terminals (I have one, intended for Bongo-camper use which I found a different solution to), and run the HEQ5 lighter plug into? I also have a 3-lighter-socket-into-1-lighter-plug adapter I go for the Bonger. Would that be sufficient for running a couple of other bits (like the CCTV camera I use sometimes) if I need them? Or would I need to rig up some kind of mounting for a series of sockets?

I should be able to run the 12v cables into the conservatory, and keep all the 240v stuff safely indoors.

Thanks,

M.

Archived