NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Naked Eye from the Alps

I am looking for a Night Sky Forecast link if anyone has a good one.

I will be in the French Alps from the 15th and why there enjoy a Night Climb or 2 above the towns, I will be based at 2000m but with a climb will summit a Low Peak at around 3 to 3500m, I thought this would be a Perfect Oppertunity to do some Star gazing.

I know on the 17th there is a Meteor Shower, Weather permiting i should have a good view, But was wondering what else will be visible with the naked Eye.

I have been hunting Google but cant quite find what i'm looking for

& would be Greatful for a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Lee

If you download the freeware planetarium software "Stellarium" (google it) you can customise your location, altitude and the date and time so that it will show you what's visible in the sky.

I presume you are going on a skiing holiday or to a ski resort. If thats the case then unless you are used to UK skies from the middle of a town, I don't think things will look much different than from home. ie. the skies will be no better than a semi rural UK location.

Resorts are lit up for the nightlife with all that light reflecting up off the snow and there are spotlights all over the mountains/pistes while the crews prepare the pistes overnight for the next days skiing. Skies in Livigno last year were no better than from my semi dark site in the Wicklow mountains 15 miles south of Dublin.

Skies in Livigno last year were no better than from my semi dark site in the Wicklow mountains 15 miles south of Dublin.

I thought i recognised the name Calibos. According to the dark sky map in the latest issue of S@N south of Greystones looks like the best dark sky area anywhere even close to Dublin or indeed most of Wicklow. It shows up as white........meaning zero LP.

If you download the freeware planetarium software "Stellarium" (google it) you can customise your location, altitude and the date and time so that it will show you what's visible in the sky.

Cheers jahmanson i see you posted this in another post followed the link & downloaded it, not had a good look yet just a quick play

I presume you are going on a skiing holiday or to a ski resort. If thats the case then unless you are used to UK skies from the middle of a town, I don't think things will look much different than from home. ie. the skies will be no better than a semi rural UK location.

Resorts are lit up for the nightlife with all that light reflecting up off the snow and there are spotlights all over the mountains/pistes while the crews prepare the pistes overnight for the next days skiing. Skies in Livigno last year were no better than from my semi dark site in the Wicklow mountains 15 miles south of Dublin.

Where i will be is a lone town Quite small although set in the 3 valleys, Once your over the Horizon it's pretty much pitch black with the exception of moonlight reflection off the snow so with clear a sky it should be a good vantage point, I hope. :)

Archived