Baffling a scope

Hi people

I'm looking for ways to optimise my scopes performance without breaking the bank. Can someone tell me the best way to baffle a scope tube, I mean I presume you need to use a paint or substance with a very low reflective finish.

Is there a point to doing this it, just how much does it help? Also are there any more things you can do to improve performance without buying mirrors with high reflectivity etc.

Greatly appreciate help on this everyone :):):)

Hi :) , Baffling is 'just' restricting light access through your scope to the neccessary cylinder and cone of light to that carrying all the desired light from that coming from the telescope field you are looking at , without vignetting . This is done by the use of thin annular disks in the scope tube ( refractor or reflector ) in suitable positions in the optical tube .This link Newtonian Baffle Calculator and this one too Lake County Astronomical Society NightTimes may explain more . Both flocking and baffling can be an aid to deep sky viewing . Hope this is a help,

Len E

I flocked my SW 200P. Its simple enough but a lot easier with two of you. It also takes a fair bit of time. You have to remove all the gubbins from the scope - primary mirror, secondary and its spider vanes and, if you want a neat job, anytthing else as well such as the focuser, finder scope fittings etc.

I flocked the interior and also painted all interior metal work with International Paints 'Blackboard' paint. It goes on smooth, goes over almost any surface and provides a completely flat finish.

The blackboard paint was also applied to the shoulders of the secondary mirror (scary job :)).

I also have a dewshield in place when using the scope to kill off any stray light.

Its hard to say if the flocking was worth it all really - reason being after it was flocked I never got to use the scope for months so didnt really have a chance to evaluate the results.

Flocking paper is relatively cheap and a figured for a small investement in the paper and the paint it was probably a good thing.

Heres some pics of mine post flocking. The one on the left was overflashed so you can see the flocking paper and paint job on the secondary. The one on the right is as the scope would look to your eyeballs - or at least as agood a representation as I can get on film. Its daaaarrrkkk in there :)

post-14805-133877419161_thumb.jpg

Definately looks the business from the pictures, don't think I'll be going near the secondary with paint though espeically with my clumsy nature. I'll keep a look out for some flocking paper wonder if hardware shops sell it :):):)

Archived