Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More first observations with my 150P

JimBobs63

Hi,

Well now I've had a chance to look at some of the more obvious stars in the sky....!

The Orion stars Betelgeuse, Bellatrix (isn't she in Harry Potter...?!), and Rigel, plus the three stars of the belt. Didn't spend time trying to look for the nebulae in Orion in such light-polluted conditions (SW London). Will have a look again soon...

Aldebaran and Vega - nice!

Albireo - wow, a lovely double, one blue and one yellow - beautiful!!

Oh, yes, and Sirius...! What a sight, low in the southern sky, twinkling most of the colours of the rainbow!! (I certainly wasn't expecting that!) I realise that the twinkling is just the light travelling through the atmosphere, but wonderful none-the-less

I certainly didn't think individual stars would turn out to be quite so interesting.....

Lovely clear skies last night, but damn cold!!

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
I love looking at stars as well especially binary ones. Even in LP skies M42 should be visible, give it a go and tell us if you can see it.

Well, after spending further observing time tonight on Mars with my new eyepieces (SW UWA 6mm and 9mm - thanks Astronomia!), I finally took your advice and turned the scope towards Orion to look at M42 - and found it straight away (thanks Stellarium!!) ;)

Pretty impressive with the SW UWA 15mm and UHC filter combination.

I guess many of the other 109 Messier objects won't be quite so easy to find, especially in light-polluted SW London...!! :)

Must go out again a bit later and take a longer look at Saturn with the new higher mag eyepieces...!

Archived