Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1/1/10 - Observing Report

Wiltshiresaint

Armed with my copy of TL@O I ventured into the cold for around an hour and a half a couple of nights back. Moon was a bit distracting but the first decent night for a while meant I was not to be put off.

Cloud cover was a problem, I had to switch to different parts of the sky depending where they were, but overall there were enough gaps to make it worthwhile. Too tricky to do anything other than a quick one star alignment, so I could only use the goto facility on my mount to get me in the general vicinity of my targets but this was enough. This was around 8pm and although clearer skies were forecast for later I find it difficult to stay up too late and keep concentrating!

Target number one was Mars. I hadn't viewed the planet before using this scope so was keen to see what was there. A clear disk so definitely Mars, but a disappointing lack of detail. Mind you, reading the threads here since makes it clear that the quality of the seeing and the position of Mars in the sky can make a heck of a difference so I live in hope of maybe seeing some sort of detail on the disk.

Then onto my real target for the evening - Sigma Orionis. This was my first ever multiple star system and with five up there to see a really nice one. Reading up in TL@O I was always unlikely to split Sigma Orionis A and B, but D and E were very clear. Couldn't quite make out C and at magnitude 10 it may always be beyond my 80mm scope. In fact, I'm starting to find it interesting just seeing what magnitude I can aim for with the scope. Anyway, despite perhaps seeing something in the region of where C should have been I can't discount wishful thinking so for now I'll have to call it 3 out of the 5 stars in the system.

The sky was starting to cloud up more so I took an easy option for my next target and went to M42. A really beautiful sight, as ever, and I was pleased to be able to clearly make out all four stars of the Trapezium.

Cloud cover meant a change of target so on and up almost directly overhead to the Andromeda Galaxy. This one was nice, although nothing like the thrill I got when I first found and viewed it through my bins, but nice all the same.

My last target was the Moon, which although partly obscured by cloud still looked pretty hopeful. I actually found the cloud cover helped me, as it reduced it's brightness. Some really nice craters visible, my favourites at this time being Tycho and Copernicus. I'm still amazed at the 'scar' lines caused by debris from both that are visible so far from the craters themselves.

Getting ever colder I decided to call it a day. All in all a great session, and I'm beginning to get used to my scope. I tend to use the 28mm 2" eyepiece I invested in for most of my viewing. I occasionally switch to an 8mm smaller Plossl EP but generally find I can see less with it, despite the extra magnification. I also much prefer the wider FOV with the 2". I can see me getting some more 2" EPs pretty soon... :hello2: I also need to have my Lunar filter handy next time.

Thanks for this. As a relative newcomer, I found this report inspiring. It just shows the pleasure and interest which can be had from a relatively modest observation session. The main lesson for me is to just focus on a few target objects, but to be flexible according to viewing conditions.

Archived