Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First look at Jupiter thru 150P

JimBobs63

Hi,

Just spent a half-hour taking a first look at Jupiter through my new scope. Good view at 75x (150x with a barlow didn't help much) of the planet and four moons in a line, two each side - Callisto and Gannymede on one side, Io and Europa on the other. Could just make out a central dark band as well....

Well pleased for a first attempt!! :)

Off to a dinner party now. Think that it may well come up in conversation...!!! :hello2:

Jim

Great work! I have a 130PM, and I have spent hours studying Jupiter. I saw an occultation of Europa by Jupiter tonight, and I have managed to spot two cloud belts at about 65X, and with my 2X Barlow I have seen 2 - 3 cloud belts and a dark red cap. I am hoping to get my first view of the red spot too.

The Barlow is often quite hard to focus with - do you get this problem too? Even so, I think it still provides the best views when the seeing is good.

Saturn next!

Nice report. I'm still waiting to see Saturn with my new scope so I may change my mind, but I love looking at Jupiter. Not only is the planet fascinating but the movements of the moons are also great fun to monitor. Watching an occulation of one of them must be quite something - I'll have to add it to my 'wish list', but I'll wait for warmer weather first!:)

Archived