Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon and ISS Jan 01

AlexG

Heavens Above doesn't have an ISS pass at my location (High Wycombe) until 7th January, is this pass only visible from certain locations in the UK? Do you have any more details? As a pass of the ISS across a full moon on a clear night like tonight looks like it will be would be pretty cool!!! :hello2:

Looks like I'm gonna miss the event by about 10 miles, and worked out why it is not on Heavens Above, as ISS will be in darkness and therefore invisible, and only visible in silhouette during the Moon transit.

This was a stub message to tell you to look in the Astrolounge section.

Added to alert Lunar observers to that message. And that message details that there are three passes on Jan 01, first at 21.55 from cornwall to London and beyond, another about 2300 near Manchester, and yet another about 0100 from South Wales to Worthing.

Suggest everyone have a squint at Calsky.com - as I said it gives you the times and plots the lines on a googlemap so you can see where they go.

AG

ps As to whether you will see anything I have no idea. ISS is tiny and you won't see it coming. I hope to stick a video camera up and just record 4 minutes worth and then see if I have anything...

Well it apparently took 0.78s for the ISS to cross the moon's disk. So not much chance of seeing that!

:hello2:

I put a domestic mini-dv video camera up and examined it afterwards. It was very out of focus. There's something remarkably ISS-ish on it - but surely much too big so I figure it was a lost bird returning home!

Next time maybe.

AG

Archived