Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with my new QHY5 camera.

merlinxlm

Hello everyone, I have just had a try with my new QHY5 camera. I stacked up 60sec of the moon, I processed in registax5 and to my horror the resulting image has a number of black spots. I tried the same barlow lenses on my Oly E510, and no spots at all. Am I right in assuming that the dirt is on the new cam? It the first time that I've used it and I'm very careful regarding my kit, so I know that I haven't contaminated the new chip. What would be my next step?

Thank you.

post-15200-133877417873_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I had the same issue with my Canon 350d black spots across the sensor..I tried this product from Jessops Lenspen Pro.. half price in the sale £17.00.. Did some test shots on a white background 30sec exposure before I used it and then after. It worked just fine.

Hope this helps...

Acme

Thank you for the advice, I've fitted an UV filter from new. Do these units usually come with dirt on the chip?

Thank you.

It would be pretty lax quality control if they did, it doesn't take much to get dust on a sensor, its always recommended you keep the sensor pointing down when handling. The UV filter itself may have been contaminated and transferred the dust to the CCD.......who knows :hello2:

If there are any screw threads involved in the imaging chain (filters, adapters, etc) its very easy to grind off some of the black anodising finish on the metal bits. These end up as black specs on the cover glass over the sensor of the camera. Useful to be able to inspect imaging surfaces with a microscope or high power magnifing glass to see the dirt. Inspect regularly, even with cleaning dust seems to keep appearing. I think the best advice is already given:

Keep sensor surfaces pointing down when attaching to accessories

Avoid touching the surfaces

Inspect with a hgh power magnifyer

Blow off dust with a camera blower/brush

only if absolutely necessary - flick dust off with fine camera brush

Archived