Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 21st December 2009

dweller25

Another early morning to view Mars and in 3 inches of snow !

Not much surface detail could be seen. The North Polar Cap was just visible and looks a lot smaller than it did at the beginning of December and it's not as bright - could it be shrinking ??

Anyone else brave the cold ??

I was observing at 01:00 UT, as I thought Mars would show more detail. Using a Tak TSA-102 and binoviewers I obseverd the NPC and dark collar.

Mare Acidalium and Niliacus Lacus were huge, extending right down into Chryse area. Erythraeum was seen, underneath Argyre was quite bright.

Mars was very pale in colour.

Hello Towa,

Your planning was good - lots of dark features.

I was looking at the Tharsis region - around 5:30 UT which is a bit bland.

I agree with you - I also think Mars has lost some of it's colour.

Does the NPC look smaller to you ???

Hi dweller25

A bit difficult to say if the NPC is smaller. However, for me the NPC appears much fainter compared to the beginning of the month,

back then it was quite easy to see with my 3 inch refractor.

The black collar also seems fainter.

As mentioned, the colour seems very pale, almost like a watercolour painting.

One thing is certain, Mars always puts on a different view from night to night, which adds to the interest for me. Lets hope for some nights of good seeing over Christmas.

All the best.

Towa

I gave my Meade SCT its first proper run out last night. It's first airing since being bolted to the EQ5. Thought there was something wrong with it at first. Things were as you described and certainly not as the 200P was seeing last week. Checked the collimation which was spot on. So dragged out the dob and sure enough Mars was not giving up much at all. Things seemed to improve around 2am and in some fleeting moments i did glimpse some surface detail with both scopes and the NPC is a lot less promiment than it was.

A dodgy bit of seeing?

Archived