NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all

freewheelin

Inspired by talking to the folks at the IYA event at Stonehenge this week, and having been pointed at this forum (how did I manage to not find it before now?) here's a bit of background about me.

I've been staring at the night sky since I was about 7 (which means 38 years now), starting off with a tiny Tasco refractor and eventually graduating to a 8" Meade Starfinder back in 1994 just in time to observe Shoemaker-Levy/9 hit Jupiter.

These days I'm very interested in archaeoastronomy and the astronomical lore that has survived in oral traditions from around the world, which means my library has developed a tendency to acquire older and older books of an ever increasingly obscure nature.

Living only a couple of miles from Stonehenge means I'm generally to be found cluttering up the place at the equinoxes and solstices, being equally amused and saddened at how many people don't really have a clue in which direction to look for sunrise (autumn, winter, spring, they're all fixated on looking northeast up the Avenue).

Cheers

Simon

--

Astronomer by inclination, physicist by degree

Hello and welcome Simon,

Stonhenge, Mmm I wonder, Could you possibly build some bridges with them?

Here in Cumbria, Well we don't have any, nor likley to get any now the news cameras have left!

So send me some up m8 ASAP.

Enjoy your Astronomy

Best Regards

Dave

bet you have trouble finding books that cover your interest

Kinda, but there are useful snippets all over the place that can be uncovered in the References sections of more modern treatises and there's some active research going on these days (ScienceDirect - Advances in Space Research : Keeping Ma’at: An astronomical approach to the orientation of the temples in ancient Egypt)

S.

Archived