Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 4000 EP's

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted a little advice on these too - I have recently picked up a Meade 4000-series Super Plossl from Fleabay but as I don't own any others from this range, I'm unfamiliar with them.

My EP doesn't mention '4000-series' on it anywhere...?

Can any 4000-series owners confirm for me what is written around the barrel on a genuine Meade 4000...?

TIA

I know there were supposed to be some "fake" 4000s floating around on ebay a year or two ago. i bought a set :) (very cheap) and they were definitely a bit dodgy (eg missing filter thread on one of them and wrong colour blue on all the boxes) but optically they seemed fine. I had a "real" one to compare. i suspect they were seconds.

Don't get me started...!

I'm already looking at trying a TeleVue Plossl...this is going to get expensive I fear :)

No need to spend a fortune. Short focus 'scopes can be a bit picky but for anything over f/8 good old Plossls will perform more than adequately (you don't really need that Ethos or Nagler). Meade 5000's are more than a match for TV Plossls and can be picked up for very reasonable price secondhand. 60 quid is the max I've paid for a 32mm. The others were a lot less.

I know there were supposed to be some "fake" 4000s floating around on ebay a year or two ago. i bought a set :) (very cheap) and they were definitely a bit dodgy (eg missing filter thread on one of them and wrong colour blue on all the boxes) but optically they seemed fine. I had a "real" one to compare. i suspect they were seconds.

I had two Meade 26mm Plossls at one time. One came with a new ETX I bought and the other I bought off fleabay. The fleabay one was a different size physically to the Meade-supplied one, but apart from that it performed just as well and seemed to be just as well built. I also have a 32mm Meade Plossl which is slightly different in barrel design from another recent Chinese-made one I've seen. I suspect they are not fakes but from different Chinese factories. Meade has never confirmed one way or the other that there are fakes out there.

Archived