Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cleark skies over south wales!

Shame I haven't got a telescope yet :D

I am, as previously posted a total beginner and was initially intending to start off with binoculars. But I have decided to just jump straight into the middle of the pool (not quite the deep end) and buy a scope.

I am looking to get a relatively small easily portable set up due to mobility problems I have, for around the £200 mark (preferably on the lower side of £200 :) ); and was wondering if anyone could recommend any?

I've been looking at refractor and maksutov type scopes, but not sure which is best, if either, or which would give me a relatively good performance for night sky viewing for a modest price.

I also will need an observation chair of some sort which I would appreciate advice on also.

:D

I also have mobility problems. My Celestron 90EQ is about managable but can be a pain in the behind. I have just the other day ordered a Skywatcher Heritage 130P flextube Dob. Thats a 5" reflector that weighs about 6.5 kilo and is so compact that it almost fits in your pocket. It looks ideal for those of us that have to observe from a seated position. It costs £130. The reviews i have read online are really rather good. Users say it is an impressive scope.

It may be worth you taking a look at it.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Heritage_130P

I also have mobility problems. My Celestron 90EQ is about managable but can be a pain in the behind. I have just the other day ordered a Skywatcher Heritage 130P flextube Dob. Thats a 5" reflector that weighs about 6.5 kilo and is so compact that it almost fits in your pocket. It looks ideal for those of us that have to observe from a seated position. It costs £130. The reviews i have read online are really rather good. Users say it is an impressive scope.

It may be worth you taking a look at it.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

Thank you for that, I had originally ruled out this type of scope because of the difficulty of standing over the side of one (I have no balance whatsoever). But this scope looks fantastic and just what I need, and the price is unbelievable. No stand to carry around, nothing. Very very good reviews on it.

I'm seriously considering ordering this right now :D

I am in a wheelchair so had also ruled out this type of scope when i was buying my first telescope. This one though looks IDEAL. With any luck it should be here tomorrow.

Good luck in deciding. I think you could do a lot worse. If you want to know anything else about whatelse you might need/want....feel free to ask.

Just ordered one of these Skywatcher Heritage 130p's for my father from First Light Optics, and usable in comfort from a chair was the decider for a dobs (initially was after the 150p, but I'm beginning to think it was serendipitous they had sold out, as this seems more suitable for him to get back in the swing of things, plus still be a very handy telescope that will get some use after he upgrades at some point).

If you have any handy links to good reviews on the Skywatcher Heritage 130p, I'd love to have a read of them.

Just ordered one of these Skywatcher Heritage 130p's for my father from First Light Optics, and usable in comfort from a chair was the decider for a dobs (initially was after the 150p, but I'm beginning to think it was serendipitous they had sold out, as this seems more suitable for him to get back in the swing of things, plus still be a very handy telescope that will get some use after he upgrades at some point).

If you have any handy links to good reviews on the Skywatcher Heritage 130p, I'd love to have a read of them.

Here is a video review of it

Enjoy

The Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dob is exactly the same scope as its Skywatcher 130P EQ cousin. Just a different mount but has only half the solid optical tubing. Im pretty sure it weighs a LOT less then the full tube EQ version (you cant pick up the EQ version in one hand and carry it).

I think that is what makes the Heritage 130P Dob so attactive to so many. Same performance but is sooooooo much more portable. EQ mounts with their counter weights can be heavy and take a lot more setting up (polar alignment etc). The Heritage 130P is ready to go as soon as you take it out of the box.

It is a godsend as far as Dobs go if you ask me........for those of us that can not stand while observing.

I didn't really understand how the focuser on this scope works. Do you guys just rotate it so it travels in and out? Is it smooth?

I may just get one of these later on to have a nice portable scope to take with me on travels.

I didn't really understand how the focuser on this scope works. Do you guys just rotate it so it travels in and out? Is it smooth?

I may just get one of these later on to have a nice portable scope to take with me on travels.

The focuser is situated right below where the EP fits. It is part of the EP assembly. When you turn the focuser either way, the EP rotates with it. Yes, as you rotate it it does travel in and out. My scope is brand new and the focuser is not yet broken in so it is far from smooth. The threads of the focuser are also painted on the inside, so when you turn it, flecks of the paint tend to drop off onto the mirrors (one or both mirrors depending on the angle the scope is at). This is not a big issue as they are easily removed and cause no damage to the mirrors.

Archived