Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing with 130mm/130X

Hi all,

I recently discovered that I have a lens almost double the magnification of my previous one. The lens gives me 130X magnification on my 130mm 'scope.

Does anyone have any tips, or advice for focusing with this lens, because I am finding it quite hard.

Is a magnification of this size a good idea with this 'scope?

Thanks.

Hi, I have a Skywatcher 130pm and I think you are refering to the 2x barlow lens which comes with the scope. Yes you can use this with the 10mm and it does give good magnification of 130X, but if the seeing is not quite good, then it is best to stick to the 10mm, as the extra magnification will make it worse and contrast is dimmer.

Focusing with the barlow and the 10mm can be tricky and you will find you will have to wind the focuser in and out a few times as the sweet spot can be a pain to find sometimes until you get use to it. I have used the 10mm with a 3x barlows lens which gives a 185x magnification, and if the conditions are good, then the views are good but the sweet spot is a pain to find and any jetstreams in the atmosphere or any poor conditions and the view is terrible.

Hope this helps.

Archived