Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Super Polaris - problems

kev

Hiya All

Anyone ever had a Vixen Super Polaris mount to pieces?

Looks like I need to on mine, the dec drive isnt, I suspect the worm isnt messing anymore due to wear over 30 years of use.

Bummer

Kev

The EQ5 is similar I am told to the SP and in fact from looking at the two side by side the EQ% loosk kind of like a clone. Someone out there must have taken an EQ5 to bits.

If you have a small amount of mechanical / handyman skills I would think its pretty simple to take to bits - just take your time and document each step so you know how to get it back together again.

Theres a guide to the Celesgron CG-5 here Astronomy Boy: CG-5 Mount Improvements which I gather is also similar.

Kev, I've had a Super Polaris to bits and spent many a happy hour tweaking the backlash on SPs and a GPDX. I suspect you don't need to take it to bits completely but just need to set move the worm closer into the gear. This is a much more straight forward excercise than stripping the whole mount.

You'll need to take off the dec motor to access the adjustment screws.

Have a look here - SPb3 It's very easy for the worm to be set too loosely and equally easy to do it too tight so that the mount binds. As you do it you can feel the backlash by manually turning the worm one way and another. Make sure you don't completely eliminate backlash or it will be too tight.

Could be a problem with the handeset that controls the drive. If it is this problem it "vibrates" (that's the best description, I can think of) rather than turns the drive wheel. Check it's doing that. If so it can be easily fixed.

See AWR Web Site for more details as they repair them for around £35: AWR Technology (Astronomy - Electronics) Telescope Drives FAQ

Dave

Fixed! Took the tube mount bracket off, took the motor off, had a look with the view clear and unexplectedly the inner clutch grub screw had come loose, hence when you tyrned the dec adjustment or moved the motor the gears moved but nothing happened. If it lasts another 30 years without adjustment it'll outlive me!

Archived